The Public Works Department provides weekly brush collection to City of Morganton residents. Brush is collected the same day as trash.
The Public Works Department provides weekly brush collection services for City residents. Brush is collected the same day as garbage.
To ensure City workers can safely collect brush and other yard debris, follow these guidelines:
- Place brush behind the curb or ditch along the street. Do not block the street or sidewalk.
- Limbs should be no longer than 10 feet and no larger than 3 inches in diameter.
- Do not place brush beneath a power line or in a place that prevents the safe operation of City equipment.
- Do not place any grass and small trimmings, leaves or any other items in the brush pile example: trash, flower pots, metal poles, railroad ties etc.
- Grass and small trimmings and leaves should be bagged for collection on Fridays, and bags should not exceed 35 pounds. Excessive weight bags will require a $25.00 charge
- Loose grass and small trimmings will require a $25.00 charge (February through September) for out of vacuum service season
- Excessive loads, stumps, logs or dirt will/may be collected at the direction of the Director of Public Works. Special handling fees and all of burke county landfill disposal fees will be charged to the resident for this service.
- Brush created by tree trimming services, logging operations or other tree cutting operations provided by private contractors must be collected and disposed of by the contractor and not placed at curb side for pick up by the City.
Public Works will pick up bulk waste, appliances and other items on a user fee basis. The base fee is $25.00 per collection. Call 828-438-5248 to schedule a rough trash pickup.
Burke County charges for the disposal of bulk items in the County landfill. The County also bans the disposal of white goods (appliances) and cardboard. Burke County accepts white goods for recycling. These fees and bans are to encourage recycling and discourage disposal. This is one of the reasons the City of Morganton charges a $25.00 fee for collection of these items.
No Building Debris Allowed
Public Works will not pick up building materials, dirt, concrete, bricks or blocks, or refuse from building, remodeling, and repair operations or landscape work. All waste material of this nature must be removed by the contractor, or in the event of his failure, by the owner of the property; provided, that the owner may make application to the sanitation superintendent and the superintendent may, if practical, remove the rubbish at the expense of the owner. Construction and demolition debris is not residential waste and an additional disposal fee must be paid at the Burke County Landfill.