Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's YouTube channel. The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Photos of the meeting will be added after the meeting.
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Christopher Hawkins ) Council
Chris Jernigan ) Interpreters:
Butch McSwain ) Danette Steelman-Bridges
Ernest Williams, IV
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
V. Introduction of Council
VI. Retirement Resolutions
• Jimmy Earl Franklin, Public Works, Expert Equipment Operator
• Joseph Scott Lookadoo, Public Works, Director
• Fred Harrell Stines, Jr., Public Works/Garage, Mechanic
VII. Service Pin
• Sharon Jablonski, Mainstreet, Cultural & Creative Development Director, 30 years
VIII. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
a. Speaker: Bob Hunter, Fonta Flora State Trail
Pop-up Farmers Market, Saturday, January 9, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at the Green Street Mini-market location
IX. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
X. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item XI.
A. Consideration of Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting and a Closed Session both held on December 7, 2020.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of Approval of a Budget Amendment / Receipt of Racial Equality Community Grant for Human Relations Commission Programs
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve budget amendment of $16,300 to grant revenue and authorize the related expenditures.
C. Consideration of Approval of a Budget Amendment / Recreation and Mainstreet
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $30,000 for Recreation and Mainstreet projects
D. Consideration of Approval of a Budget Amendment / Recreation
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $6,000 for recreational purposes.
E. Consideration of Extending the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Under the Families First Corona Relief Act (FFCRA) and the Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act and the Approval of 2021 COVID-19 Emergency Leave for Employees
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve the 2021 Covid-19 Emergency Leave for Employees as outlined.
XI. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XII. New Business
A. Public Hearings
1. Public Hearing and Consideration of a Rezoning Request to Change the Zoning for 20.08 Acres of Property Located at 115 Wamsutta Mill Road from Medium Intensity District (MID) to High Intensity District (HID)
B. Other Business
1. Consideration of a Resolution of Intent to Permanently Close and Abandon an Unopened Portion of Beach Street and to Call for a Public Hearing
2. Consideration of Approval of a Resolution for a Building Reuse Grant / Toner Machining
3. 30-Day Notice – Boards and Commissions
a. Morganton Housing Authority
Bryan Black, Teresa DeHart
XIII. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda
Minutes for this meeting will be added after they are approved by the City Council.