Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Photos from the meeting are usually added after the meeting.
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Forrest A. Fleming ) Council
Christopher Hawkins )
Sidney Simmons ) Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag – Led by members of American Legion Post 21
IV. Invocation Given by the Rev. Larry Britt, MDPS Chaplain
V. Introduction of Council
VI. Service Pins
• Bart Chapman, Underground Supervisor, Electric Department, 20 years
• Eric Merrill, Service Technician, CoMPAS, 20 years
• Will Lackey, Lieutenant, Public Safety, 20 years
• Robin Triplett, Lieutenant, Public Safety, 20 years
• Ronnie Rector, Chief, Public Safety, 25 years
VII. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
• Proclamation: 100th Anniversary of American Legion Post 21
Received by: Commander Stosh Reichlin
• Resolution: Support of Oak Hill Community Park
Received by: Andrew Kota, Foothills Conservancy
• Great Transformation presentation: Alpine Mill
Presented by: North Carolina Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA-NC)
Received by: Ginny Erwin, Developer
• T.O.S.S. Update
Presented by: Kathryn Ervin, T.O.S.S.
b. Upcoming events:
The Jacksons, Thursday, September 5, 7:30 p.m.
• Coffee with a Cop – Bojangles North Green Street, Tuesday, August 20, 8:00 a.m.
• Farmers Markets on Wednesdays (N. Green) and Saturdays (Beach St.)
• Historic Morganton Festival, September 6 and 7.
VIII. Consideration of Changing City Council Meeting Date for September 2019
• City Hall will be closed Monday, September 2, in observance of the Labor Day Holiday
IX. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
X. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item XI.
A. Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on June 3, 2019 and a Special Meeting held June 17, 2019.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of a Budget Amendment / Sewer
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the Secondary Clarifier Capital Projects fund in the amount of $5,090 and a second amendment in the amount of $5,090 to transfer funds back to the sewer fund.
C. Consideration of a Budget Amendment / Main Street
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $30,000 to appropriate the receipt of a contribution and a State grant to be used for a feasibility study for a children’s discovery center.
D. Consideration of a 3rd Amendment to Sprint Cell Tower License Agreement
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a 3rd Amendment to the License agreement with Sprint Spectrum Realty Company for cellular equipment installed on the Glen Alpine Water Tank.
E. Consideration of Approval of the Re-Classification of CoMPAS Service Technician to a Lead Customer Service Specialist
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve the reclassification of one CoMPAS Service Tech position to a Lead Customer Service Specialist position slotted in pay range 21.
F. Consideration of Renewal of Agreement to Participate in the 2019-2020 Western Piedmont Stormwater Partnership (SWP)
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve the agreement to participate in the 2019-2020 Western Piedmont Stormwater Partnership at a cost of $6,064.
G. Consideration of Approval of an Amended Memorandum of Understanding with Stroup Family as Owners and FHN Morganton, LLC as Developer, for Development of Certain Property on South Sterling Street
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve Amended Memorandum of Understanding among the City of Morganton, the Stroup family, and FHN Morganton, LLC.
XI. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XII. New Business
1. Consideration of Amendments to Code of Ordinances Designating No Parking areas on Fleming Place, Bouchelle Street, East Catawba Street, and North Green Street
2. Consideration of Approval to Enter into an Agreement with NCDOT for Construction for Proposed Improvements Along College Street from North Green Street to West Fleming Drive
3. Consideration of a Reimbursement Resolution and Award of Contract for Design of Coagulation, Flocculation and Sedimentation Process Improvement Project
4. Consideration of a Revolving Loan Program for the Development of Restaurants in Downtown Morganton
5. Boards and Commissions
a. Fireman’s Supplemental Retirement Fund
b. Alcoholic Beverage Control Board
XIII. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda
XIV. Closed Session