Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Photos from the meeting are usually added the day after the meeting.
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Forrest A. Fleming ) Council
Christopher Hawkins )
Sidney Simmons ) Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
IV. Invocation Given by the Rev. Elaine Hall, St. Matthews United Methodist Church
V. Introduction of Council
VI. Retiree Resolutions
a) Dwain A. Benton, Water Resources Department, Superintendent – Distribution and Collection Division
b) Scott A. Lanning, Public Safety Department, Public Safety Officer
c) Martin G. Ollis, Wastewater Department, Senior Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
VII. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
• Phillip Lookadoo, Certified Floodplain Manager
• American Public Power Association Safety Award
• Proclamation of Thanks to the Town of Maiden
b. Upcoming events:
The Sauce Boss, Thursday, May 9, 7:00 p.m.
TGIF continues with:
May 10th - Grandma's Medicine (Rock n Roll)
May 17th - Rooted (Americana)
May 24th - Gotcha Groove (Soul)*
*Special Event Night: 6:30 p.m. – Storytime for children and limited book giveaway. Sponsored by Smart Start and Adventure Bound Books
May 31st - Fox and Company (Dance)
Farmers Markets on Wednesdays (N. Green) and Saturdays (Beach St.)
VIII. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update – Dan Brown: Update on NCMPA1 rates
IX. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item X.
A. Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on April 1, 2019, a Special Meeting held on April 12, 2019 and a Closed Session also held on April 12, 2019.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of Tax Releases in the Amount of $125.98
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve tax releases in the amount of $125.98.
C. Consideration of a Budget Amendment / Recreation
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $114.00 to appropriate the receipt of a contribution given by the Morganton Humanist Alliance for the purchase of a sycamore tree.
D. Consideration of Amendment to Section 2-7022 of the Code of Ordinances, to Increase Number of Members on the Governing Board of the Morganton Housing Authority
RECOMMENDED ACTION: amend Section 2-7022(a) of the City’s Code of Ordinances to provide that the Morganton Housing Authority shall be composed of not less than seven (7) nor more than nine (9) members.
E. Consideration of an Ordinance Scheduling Temporary Closures of Certain State Highways for City-Sponsored Special Events
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve an Ordinance scheduling temporary closures of certain State highways for City-sponsored special events for 2019.
X. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XI. New Business
A. Public Hearings
1. Public Hearing and Consideration of an Amendment to the Zoning Ordinance to Exclude Drive Through Restaurants as a Permitted Use in the CBD (Central Business District)
2. Public Hearing and Consideration of an Amendment to the Zoning Ordinance to Add Exceptions for Overlay Districts as a Land Use with Conditions / Table 3.1 Permitted Uses (Electronic Gaming)
3. Public Hearing and Consideration of a Request to Rezone Properties Along the Avery Avenue, Burkemont Avenue, Lenoir Street and Lenoir Road Corridors (Defined as Within 250 Feet in Either Direction of Each Road Centerline) Adding to the Various Base Zoning Districts, the Corridor Overlay District (C-O)
B. Other Business
1. Call for a Public Hearing to Consider a Contiguous Annexation Petition Submitted by Glenwood Hills, LP for 3.49 Acres Located at 1300 Burkemont Avenue
2. Consideration of Entering into a Contract with the Western Piedmont Council of Governments to Administer an Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) Grant
3. Consideration of Amendment to Interlocal Agreement for Burke Business Park
4. Consideration of Award of Contract for the Demolition of Structures at 214 and 216 Jefferson Street
5. Consideration of Award of Contract to Stimmel and Stitch and Appointment of Center Square Park Steering Committee
6. Boards and Commissions
a. Human Relations Commission
b. Fireman’s Relief Fund
7. 30-Day Notice for Boards and Commissions
a. Board of Adjustment
b. Cable Commission
c. Community Appearance
d. Main Street Advisory Board
e. Planning & Zoning Commission
f. Recreation Advisory
XII. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda
XIII. Closed Session
Minutes for this meeting will be posted after they are approved by the City Council. The Council normally approves minutes during the following Council meeting.