Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Photos from the meeting are usually added the day after the meeting.
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Forrest A. Fleming ) Council
Christopher Hawkins )
Sidney Simmons ) Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
IV. Invocation Given by the Rev. John Hagmann, First Presbyterian Church
V. Introduction of Council
VI. Service Pin
• Bennett Chapman, Water Resources, Plant Maintenance Mechanic, 25 years
VII. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
a. NCDOT Prioritization Process
Presented by: Stephen Sparks, P.E., Division 13 Corridor Development Engineer
Planned power outage for April 7, 2019 beginning at midnight and lasting approximately 6 hours. The affected areas will be in the Industrial Boulevard area off Jamestown Road. Updates will be made via the City website and social media sites.
c. Upcoming events:
Tied up in Knotts, Thursday, April 11, 7:30 p.m.
The Sound of Music, Tuesday, April 30, 7:30 p.m.
Farmers’ Market, Saturday, April 27, Beach Street, 8:00 a.m. to Noon
Wednesday, May 1, Green Street, Noon – 4:00
TGIF begins on Friday, May 3, 6:00 p.m. with the Extraordinaires and a Car Cruise-In
VIII. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
IX. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item X.
A. Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on March 4, 2019, a Special Meeting held on March 14, 2019, and a Special Workshop meeting held on February 22, 2019.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of Tax Releases in the Amount of $75.62
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve tax releases in the amount of $75.62.
C. Consideration of Approval of the 2019 Downtown Calendar of Events
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve the 2019 Downtown Calendar of Events as submitted.
D. Consideration of a Budget Amendment / CoMMA
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $250, is to appropriate the receipt of a contribution given to CoMMA to assist in providing chocolate candies for the Peter Pan on Ice show
E. Consideration of Adoption of the Municipal Records Retention Schedule
RECOMMENDED ACTION: To concur the Municipal Records Retention and Disposition Schedule and to amend current retention practices as necessary to comply.
X. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XI. New Business
A. Public Hearings
1. Public Hearing and Consideration of a Request to Rezone Property Located at 102 W Morganton Heights Boulevard (PIN 1793617318) from General Business/Light Industrial Conditional Use to High Intensity District (HID)
B. Other Business
1. Consideration of Adoption of the Amended Development Grant Incentive Guideline Policy and Zones
2. Consideration of an Agreement with NCDOT for Design and Installation of Utility Lines in Association with the NC 181 Widening Project
3. Consideration of Establishing Filing Fees for Municipal Elections
4. Consideration of Approval of Memorandum of Understanding with Stroup Family as Owners and (1) FHN Morganton, LLC and (2) LS Hotels, LLC as Developers, for Development of Certain Property on South Sterling Street
5. Consideration of Appointments for Boards and Commissions
a. Downtown Parking Advisory Committee
6. 30-Day Notice for Boards and Commissions
a. Human Relations
XII. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda