Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
A video of the meeting is added after the meeting.
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Kenneth R. Fleming retired from the City of Morganton on Dec. 1, 2018, with 30 years and five months of service. Kenny retired from the Wastewater Department as a Pre-Treatment Coordinator/Backup ORC.
Roney E. Parker retired from the City of Morganton on Dec. 1, 2018, with 30 years and four months of service. (Not pictured).
Leo Watson was recognized during the council meeting for his 20 years of service in the Electric Services Department, and honored with a 20 year service pin and accolades from the crowd and council alike.
December 3, 2018
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Forrest A. Fleming ) Council
Christopher Hawkins )
Sidney Simmons ) Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – 6:00 - 6:15 p.m.
Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Business of the Council begins at 6:15 p.m.
IV. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
V. Invocation Given by the Rev. David Doster, Burke Community Bible Church
VI. Introduction of Council
VII. Retiree Resolutions
• Kenneth R. (Kenny) Fleming, Wastewater Department, Pre-Treatment Coordinator/Back-Up ORC
• Roney E. Parker, Wastewater Department, Senior Compost Operator
VIII. Service Pins
• Leo Watson, Technical Services Supervisor, Electric Department, 20 years
IX. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
•City Council / Cable Commission – Joint Meeting on Tuesday, December 11, 5:30 p.m., Morganton City Council Chamber
b. Upcoming events:
Lisa Rock in A Carpenters’ Christmas, Thursday, December 13, 7:30 p.m.
Messiah Sing-a-long, Tuesday, December 18, 7:30 p.m. at First Baptist Church
New Year’s Eve Masquerade, Monday, December 31, 9:00 p.m.
Christmas Parade, Tuesday, December 4, 6:00 p.m.
Carriage rides continue on Friday and Saturday evenings
Holiday Market, Saturday, December 8, 10:00 – 2:00 p.m., North Green Street
X. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
XI. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item XII.
A. Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on November 5, 2018.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of Tax Releases in the Amount of $2,563.75
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve tax releases in the amount of $2,563.75.
C. Consideration of a Budget Amendment / CoMMA
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $3,850 from the grant/expenditures for the Billy Goats Gruff show and Burke Honors Chorus.
XII. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XIII. New Business
A. Public Hearings
1. Public Hearing and Consideration of Closing an Alley Extending Northward from Concord Street between South Sterling and South Green Streets
2. Public Hearing and Consideration of Petition to Re-Zone approximately 3 Acres on Either Side of Lyman Court, from Residential Low/Conditional Use to Medium Intensity District (MID)
B. Other Business
1. Consideration of a Resolution to Endorse the Conveyance of Property at the Burke Business Park by Burke Development, Inc.
2. Consideration of Approval of Master Services Agreements (MSA) with Engineering Consulting Firms to Perform On-Call Engineering Services for the City of Morganton
3. Consideration of a Sidewalk Encroachment at 301 North Sterling Street
4. Appointments to Boards and Commissions
a. Burke Development, Inc (BDI)
b. Community House Board of Control
c. Human Relations Commission
XIV. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda
Minutes for this meeting will be posted after they are approved by the City Council. The Council normally approves minutes during the following Council meeting.