Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
Photos from the meeting are added after the meeting.
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor Sally W. Sandy, City Manager Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Wendy Cato )
Forrest A. Fleming ) Council Christopher Hawkins )
Sidney Simmons ) Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
I. Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
II. Public Comment – 6:00 - 6:15 p.m.
Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
III. Business of the Council begins at 6:15 p.m.
IV. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
V. Invocation Given by the Rev. Dana McKim, First United Methodist Church
VI. Introduction of Council
VII. Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
a. Faith Based Identification Program Presented by: Francisco Risso
b. Recognition: Jesse James, Senior Planner, Certified Zoning Official designation
c. Announcement of Meeting Date Change: The Planning and Zoning Board has published notice of a change of meeting dates from August 9 to August 16, 2018.
d. Upcoming events:
Resurrection – A Journey Tribute, Monday, August 20, 7:30 p.m.
• Farmers Markets continue on Saturdays and Wednesdays
VIII. Consideration of Changing City Council Meeting Date for September 2018
IX. North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
X. Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item XII.
A. Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on June 4, 2018 and a Special Meeting held on June 18, 2018.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
B. Consideration of Tax Releases in the Amount of $790.25
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve tax releases in the amount of $790.25.
C. Consideration of a Budget Amendment / Community House
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment to appropriate the receipt of donated funds in the amount of $10,000 for the Community House project which will be repaid to the Capital Reserve fund.
D. Consideration of a Resolution Adopting the 2018 Updated Water Shortage Response Plan
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Adopt a resolution approving the 2018 Updated Water Shortage Response Plan.
E. Consideration of Pay Range Changes / Position Changes Agreed to During Budget Process
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve updated pay ranges as outlined.
F. Consideration of Adoption of Updated Bylaws of The Burke Partnership For Economic Development, Inc. dba Burke Development, Inc. (BDI)
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Adopt updated Bylaws of The Burke Partnership For Economic Development, Inc. dba Burke Development, Inc. (BDI).
G. Consideration of a Resolution Regarding City’s Position on Petition to Close a Portion of Old Jamestown Road, a State-Maintained Road Within the City Limits
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Adopt a Resolution stating the City of Morganton has no objection to abandonment by the NC DOT of a 0.125 mile portion of Old Jamestown Road (SR 1194).
XI. Items Removed from Consent Agenda
XII. New Business
1. Consideration of Calling for a Public Hearing to Enter into a Local Incentive Agreement / Project JP3
2. Consideration of Award of Contract for the Sanitary Sewer Portion of Improvements in the Green Street Revitalization Project
3. Consideration of Award of Contract to Relocate an Existing Sewer Line at Alpine Mill
4. Consideration of Award of Contract for South Sterling Street Storm Drain Repair and Approval of Budget Amendment
5. Consideration of a Resolution Authorizing a Grant Application from the North Carolina Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) / Craft District
6. Consideration of Approval of Downtown Housing Improvement Plan (HIP) Guidelines and Appointment of Review Board
7. Consideration of a Resolution Authorizing Resource Institute, Inc. to Provide Grant Writing Assistance to Seek Additional Funding to Match Duke Energy Funding Support of Public Recreation Facilities — Catawba- Wateree Hydroelectric Project No. 2232 and A Memorandum of Understanding with Resource Institute, Inc.
8. Consideration of Amendment of Lease with DiMarhos, Inc. for the Building at 112 West Union Street
9. Consideration of Approval of a Grant Agreement for the Main Street Solutions Fund Grant / Downtown Hotel
10. Appointments to Boards and Commissions
a. ABC Board
b. Community Appearance
c. Main Street
d. Burke Development, Inc.
XIII. Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda