The Board of Adjustment (BOA) provides flexibility to the city zoning ordinance while maintaining the intent of the regulations. The BOA is required by state law and acts in a quasi-judicial role, much like a judge in a court, to evaluate and interpret questions which come about concerning the zoning ordinance. The BOA provides several roles in the overall zoning process including: appeals of any administrative officer; providing decisions concerning the zoning ordinance or map when a disagreement over an interpretation occurs between an administrative officer and a member of the public, granting special use permits; requiring that certain land uses meet conditions beyond general zoning requirements on a given parcel, and granting variances; to grant relief when hardship results from the strict application of the ordinance’s terms to a particular piece of property.
Members of the City of Morganton Board of Adjustment are appointed by the City Council and serve 3-year terms.
Term Expires - Member
6/3/2021 - Vacant
6/3/2021 - George Bailey (alternate)
6/3/2022 - Dale Brittain
6/3/2022 - Bryant Lindsey
6/3/2022 - Thomas L. Eure
6/3/2020 - Susan Shelor
6/3/2019 - vacancy
6/3/2019 - vacancy (Alternate)
The Board of Adjustment generally meets at 5:15 p.m. on the second Monday of the month in the City Council Chambers of City Hall when the Board has business to address. The Board does not meet if the Board does not have any items or applications to review. BOA meetings are open to the public and televised live on CoMPAS Cable Ch. 2. The meetings are also posted on the City's YouTube Channel .
- Board of Adjustment Meeting, Feb. 2, 2017
- Board of Adjustment Meeting, Jan. 10, 2017
- Board of Adjustment Meeting, Nov. 14, 2016
- Board of Adjustment Meeting, Oct. 10, 2016
- Board of Adjustment Meeting - Sept. 15, 2015
- Board of Adjustment Meeting - July 13, 2015
- Board of Adjustment Meeting - March 9, 2015
- Board of Adjustment Meeting - June 10, 2013
- Board of Adjustment Meeting - April 8, 2013
- Board of Adjustment Meeting - Jan. 14, 2013