The City of Morganton is now working with citizens to make payment plans for utility bills to lessen the economic burden on our customers bearing the brunt of the COVID-19 crisis.
“We understand that many of our citizens are out of work, or have reduced income because of the business closures mandated by Gov. Roy Cooper’s executive orders,” said City Manager Sally Sandy. “To help alleviate the economic hardship some of our customers may be facing, we are beginning to set up payment plans for utility bills.”
The payment plans will allow customers to pay parts of their utility bills over a longer period of time, instead of being required to pay the entirety of their bill at once. The City is beginning this effort now, before the crisis is over, in an attempt to be proactive in how we serve our customers. To set up a payment plan, contact the City’s business office at 828-438-5245.
The City suspended late fees and disconnection of utility services for nonpayment of bills beginning March 20, and this practice remains in effect. However, debts and outstanding charges are not being forgiven, so it is important that customers pay as much as they can afford. Utility debts and outstanding charges cannot be forgiven by law.
While City Hall and City facilities remain closed to the public, our employees are still working hard to provide our citizens with the services they are accustomed to during these trying times. Business with the City can be conducted by phone, email or fax, while our facilities are closed.
“City staff continues to carry out City business and deliver the same high quality services our citizens are accustomed to,” Sandy said. “We are thankful to everyone working on the front lines of this crisis, and we continue to serve our citizens to the best of our capacity given the circumstances.”
- Citizens can make utility payments online at morgantonnc.gov. Payments can be made at our drop boxes located at the front entrance and back parking lot of City Hall, or by using our drive-thru. We will be accepting all forms of payment in our drive-thru. Credit card payments will be accepted over the phone while City Hall is closed to the public. Please do not put cash in the drop boxes.
- Residents can apply for power, water and sewer service, by calling 828-438-5245 or by visiting morgantonnc.gov/index.php/government/finance/utilities
- Contractors should apply for building permits by calling 828-438-5266
- Citizens should contact COMPAS at 828-438-5353 to connect new cable, internet and telephone service, or for technical assistance and service with cable, internet and telephone
- Human Resources is closed to walk-ins for job applications. View our job applications and apply online by visiting morgantonnc.gov/jobs
- Emergencies – 911
- City Hall – 828-437-8863
- CoMMA – 828-433-SHOW
- COMPAS (Cable, Internet, Telephone) – 828-438-5353
- Electric Services (Power Outages) – 828-438-5277
- Inspections & Building Permits – 828-438-5266
- Main Street Office – 828-438-5252
- Morganton Community House – 828-438-5364
- New Electric, Water, Sewer Service Connection – 828-438-5245
- Public Works – 828-438-5248
- Parks & Recreation – 828-438-5350
- Public Safety (Non-Emergency) – 828-437-1211
- City Tax Office – 828-438-5242
- Utility/COMPAS Payments – 828-438-5245
- Water Resources (Water or Sewer shut-offs) – 828-437-5276
Citizens can reach the Burke County Health Department COVID-19 hotline by calling 828-764-9388. The North Carolina Statewide COVID-19 hotline can be reached by calling 1-866-462-3821.