Below are some Frequently Asked Questions. If you have a different question, or need more information, call the Public Information Office at 828-438-2516.


General Questions 

A: Submit a request to the City Engineer asking for a traffic speed study and analysis to be conducted. Based on that study and analysis, the City Engineer will make his recommendations to correct the problem.

The solution may involve a formal request to change the speed limit that would involve presentation to the City Council for approval of the speed limit change. The solution may be the installation of a traffic calming device, such as speed humps. Again, this recommendation would come from the City Engineer as warranted by the traffic study and analysis that would have included an evaluation of the street based on criteria set forth in the policy adopted by the Morganton City Council with regard to installation of these traffic calming devices. Or, it may simply involve a request to Public Safety to increase their enforcement of the speed limit along that street.

It is also possible that the City Engineer may also conclude that no action is warranted based on his study and analysis.

Call the City Engineer at 828-438-5263 for more information.

A: Backyard chickens are allowed in every zoning district in the City, except for the Central Business District, as long as residents meet the following requirements.

Zoning Ordinance, 3.4.1 (B)

  • A one (1) acre minimum lot size is required for the keeping of livestock and fowl of 15 pounds or under as an accessory use to a residential use. The keeping of livestock and fowl as an accessory to a residential use shall not include commercial production.
  • No structure or barn for the keeping of livestock or fowl shall be located closer than 50 feet to any property line and 100 feet to any dwelling unit other than the owner’s residence.

Animal Ordinance, Sec. 8-2029 (b)

  • Not more than five (5) chickens, raised and kept for the purpose of providing fresh eggs, may be kept on any one lot having a minimum size of at least one acre, provided such lot is in compliance with the City’s Zoning Ordinance
  • No coop or other containment structure for keeping fowl may be located within 50 feet of any property line, or within 100 feet of any residence other than that of the fowls’ owner.
  • All fowl must be secured or contained upon the premises.
  • No butchering of fowl on the premises is allowed.
  • Roosters are not allowed.

Residents can look up the zoning for their property on the City’s online zoning map.

Call the Zoning Officer at 828-438-5269 for more information.


Billing, City Bills

point and payA: Yes. You can pay online using an e-check and there is no fee. You also can pay online with Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express, but there is a 2.6% fee, $1.50 minimum charge.

Visit the Payment Portal to pay online or call 1-855-461-9814.

Find out more about paying online here.

A: This is a flat fee, billed monthly, on a customers water and sewer bill. This charge is based on the size of the meter. The revenue generated from these charges is used to partially cover the debt of the water and sewer plants.

Call the Billing Office at 828-438-5245 for more information.

A: Deposits for utility services vary depending on the customers credit score. Find out more at Utility Deposits.

Call the Billing Office at 828-438-5245 for more information.

A: Most of the meters are read monthly and billed according to the service location.

The City bills on the 1st, 10th and 20th of each month. There are eleven working days before a 10% penalty is added and seven additional working days before the account is subject to disconnect for non-pay. The City bills some water(and/or sewer) accounts bi-monthly. Billing frequency is determined by location.

Cable bills are billed on the 1st of each month and due by the 10th of each month.

Call the Billing Office at 828-438-5245 for more information.

A: The reconnect fee for utilities is $20.00 if paid between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. If utilities are paid at other times, there will be an additional $30.00 charged for reconnections bringing the total to $50.00. Cable reconnect fees are $15.00.

Call the Billing Office at 828-438-5245 for more information.

A: Yes, the City offers automatic bank drafts. To utilize this service a form needs to be signed and turned in to the Business Office in City Hall. A void check also needs to be provided. Customer billing statements will continue to be mailed to the customer monthly. The amount, on the bill, will be drafted on the due date shown on the bill.

Download an Automatic Bank Draft form.


Questions about Construction and Development

A: Submit a request to the Development and Design Department or to the City Engineer at City Hall in the form of a petition signed by those interested in the service and willing to share in the cost of the water line extension.

After evaluation by the City Engineer and his staff as well as the Director of Water Resources, including determination of existing facilities in the area and their condition and capacity, a preliminary layout and design for purposes of cost estimating will be done. This cost estimate would be presented to the parties who would benefit from the service and they would be encouraged to organize in order to finance the water line extension.

The procedure is outlined in a policy adopted by the Morganton City Council copies of which are available to those groups wishing to make such a request.

Call 828-438-5260 for more information. 

A: A permit is required to construct the driveway. If there is curbing, then a curb cut is needed as well.

If the street is a NCDOT-maintained roadway a permit must be obtained from NCDOT. If it is a city-maintained street, a request needs to be made to our Permitting Section.

Upon notification of your intent to put in a driveway, the City Engineer or a member of his staff will go out to your site to determine if the location and conditions allow for the installation of the driveway and the execution of the curb cut, according to Morganton City Code and reasonable engineering practices and principles. If approved, you may have your contractor install the curb cut to the City of Morganton's specifications after first obtaining the permit. Or, you may have the City install the curb cut at a cost to you based on the linear feet of driveway opening.

Call 828-438-5260 for more information.

A: If it is a city maintained roadway, the City Engineer or Public Works Director will address the situation promptly including performing an actual visual inspection of the subject roadway and appropriate measures will be taken to correct or mitigate the problem as soon as reasonably possible, if warranted. If the roadway is private or maintained by NCDOT, the City Engineer will go and visually inspect the roadway and make an assessment of the problem, and notify the appropriate jurisdiction or owner and make a recommendation and request for correction of the problem, if warranted.

Call 828-438-5260 for more information.

A: Unless the occurrence is due to problems with our storm water sewer system, the City Engineer, the Public Works Director, or their staff members can only make recommendations with regards to solutions based on their analysis of the situation and their education, knowledge, background, and experience within a reasonable degree of engineering probability. Implementation and execution of those recommendations and their resultant consequences are the sole responsibility of the homeowner.

Call 828-438-5260 for more information.

A: This varies widely with the situation. Shade/canopy/large trees (oaks, maples, elms etc.) tend to live longer than ornamental/understory/small trees (dogwoods, crape myrtle, red bud) as a general rule.  Native trees are generally more suitable to local weather and pests.

Call 828-438-5362 for more information.

A: Large trees should be planted at least 30 feet from overhead power lines, some even further away, so that future trimming can be minimized. Many small trees may be planted closer. Every tree is different as well as every situation so it is best to do some research to know how large your tree will grow and plant according to that mature growth size.

Contact a local, certified arborist or the Burke County Cooperative Extension Office at 828-439-4460.

A: The best time to plant trees is during or close to the same time the plant is dormant. It is best to plant after leaves start falling in Fall and before leaves arrive in Spring. Consult your local grower for more information.


Questions about Jobs

A: You must submit a City of Morganton application to the HR Department by the deadline listed in order to be considered for a job.
You can download an application here, you can pick up an application in the HR Department at City Hall or you can request one be sent to you via telephone or letter.

Call Human Resources at 828-438-5253 for more information.

A: The City performs background and reference checks on applicants being considered for employment. Once a candidate has been tentatively selected, a conditional offer of employment is made. Following the conditional offer of employment, a medical pre-screen and drug/alcohol test is scheduled for the candidate.

Call Human Resources at 828-438-5253 for more information.

A: Yes, you do. Do I have to go through another medical pre-screen and drug/alcohol test?  Yes, you do.

A: Personnel type changes by completing the appropriate form in HR. Payroll-type changes dealing with taxes and 401K/457 changes can also be made by completing the appropriate paperwork. Insurance and benefits-type changes have certain restrictions.

Call This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Benefits Administrator, at 828-438-5298 for more information.

A: You can contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Benefits Administrator at 828-438-5298 for more information.

A: Call This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Benefits Administrator, at 828-438-5298.

A: You can ask your supervisor, department director or contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Benefits Administrator, at 828-438-5298.

New Years Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day

City Contact


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Staff Directory

305 E. Union St. Ste A100
Morganton, NC 28655 i Google Maps 16x16

morganton logo color 200px