The Building Inspections Division reviews and enforces State Building Codes for all new residential and commercial construction in the City of Morganton and the City’s Extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) The Building Inspections staff also works closely with citizens to review plans during the pre-construction phase of projects, and provides information and services to citizens as they obtain the proper permits for construction.
New construction in the City of Morganton must meet the State of North Carolina building codes. See below for a list of applicable building codes, design data, engineering specifications, and various permit applications.
NC State Building Codes
- 2012 NC Building Code
- 2012 NC Residential Code
- 2012 NC Fire Code
- 2012 NC Plumbing Code
- 2012 NC Mechanical Code
- 2012 NC Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 NC Energy Conservation Code
- 2014 NC Electrical Code
- 2012 NC Administration and Enforcement Requirements Code
- Accessibility ‐ 2012 NC Building Code Chapter 11, along with the referenced standard ANSI A117.1 09.
Commonly Requested Documents
- Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs Code
- Handicap Accessible Ramps
- Handicap Accessible Parking
- NC Insulation and Energy Requirements
- Basic Wind Speed: 90 mph
- Roof Load: 20 psf
- Ground Snow load: 15 psf
- Frost line Depth: 12”
- Thermal Zone: 4
For older permit reports, contact Crystal Reed, Development and Design Services Admininstrative Support Assisstant, at 828-438-5266.