The City of Morganton skate park is open. Work on landscaping, sidewalks, signs, and lighting will continue as weather permits. Ribbon Cutting will take place at a later date to be announced. City Council approved funding for the park in the 2016-2017 budget. The City’s budget for the skate park is $180,000, which includes donations from the Morganton Recreation Foundation, Morganton Optimist Club, and Morganton Service League. The latest design is priced at about $250,000, but Winkler plans to make up the difference with in-kind services provided by the City.
The City is providing in-kind services to make sure Morganton gets the most park for its money. Public Works Department employees started grading and forming the park in late August. Check out the links and videos below to learn more about the park.
- Construction of Morganton skate park nearly complete, 11/2/2017, The News Herald
- New skate park coming to Morganton, 9/3/2017, Spectrum News
- Work continues on MLK Park and the new skate park, 8/24/2017
- Morganton receives skate park grant from Tony Hawk, 8/16/2017, The News Herald
- The latest skate park design is in, and it looks rad, 6/23/2017
- New Morganton skate shop looking to promote pastime, 5/12/2017, The News Herald
- Skate park moves forward, 4/27/2017
- Public invited to skate park design meeting, 4/11/2017
- Work progresses on City parks, 3/3/2017
- Community meeting to review skatepark designs, 11/29/2016
- City Skate Park Community Meeting, 10/21/2016
- Parks and Recreation holding meeting about skate park, 9/23/2016
- Council Meeting, June 20, 2016, 6/16/2016
Check out progress photos online at https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6iFbmS .
The skate park is being built behind the Collett Street Recreation Center just minutes from downtown Morganton.