Morganton City Council meetings are broadcast live on CoMPAS Ch. 2 and streamed live online via the city's USTREAM . The Council meets at Morganton City Hall located at 305 E. Union St. Suite A100, Morganton, NC .
The video will be posted after the meeting.
Watch more City of Morganton videos @ www.youtube.com/user/cityofmorgantonnc .
The Morganton City Council presented a service pin to Capt. John Campbell for his 20 years of service with the city.
RESOLUTION HONORING RANDY E. CHESTER
WHEREAS, Randy E. Chester was employed by the City of Morganton as Lineman II in the Electric Operations Department on March 6, 1991; promoted to Lineman III on May 16, 1996; changed to Line Technician III on July 1, 2004; promoted to Underground Crew Supervisor on February 16, 2009; and
WHEREAS, Randy E. Chester has faithfully served the City of Morganton in the Electric Department, and has given of his time and efforts for the benefit of the citizens of Morganton for twenty-eight years, six months; and
WHEREAS, Randy E. Chester retired from the City of Morganton as Underground Crew Supervisor of Electric Department on May 1, 2018; and
WHEREAS, the Morganton City Council wishes to officially recognize the contributions of Randy E. Chester and express their appreciation for a job well done.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the City of Morganton that the Mayor presents this Resolution to Randy E. Chester.
Adopted this the 7th day of May 2018.
Ronnie Thompson, Mayor
Sally W. Sandy, City Manager
Louis E. Vinay, Jr., City Attorney
Forrest A. Fleming
Becky Brinkley, Interpreter
- Call to Order in the Council Chamber at City Hall at 6:00 p.m.
- Public Comment – 6:00 - 6:15 p.m.
Anyone wishing to speak during this time must sign in with the Clerk before the meeting begins, and upon being called will have 3 minutes to address the Council.
- Business of the Council begins at 6:15 p.m.
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Invocation to be Given by Public Safety Chaplain Jaime Torres, Jamie Torres Ministries
- Introduction of Council
- Retiree Resolutions
- Randy E. Chester, Electric Department, Underground Crew Supervisor
- Service Pin
- John Campbell, Public Safety, Fire Captain, 20 years
- Public Advocacy Issues and Strategies
- Video: Lineman Rodeo – Thursday, May 17 at Catawba Meadows
Brooks Kirby, Electric Director
- Upcoming events:
- TGIF, Old Courthouse Square, Fridays; vendors at 6:00 p.m.; music at 7:00 p.m. Bands in May: Continental Divide (beach), Gotcha Groove (Soul) and The Road Runnerz (classic rock) plus a Bike Stunt Show
- Farmers Markets continue on Wednesdays and Saturday
- North Carolina Supreme Court will hold Court in the Old Burke County Courthouse, Monday, May 14
- North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 Update
- Consent Agenda – All items below are considered to be routine and will be enacted by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a Council member, staff member or citizen so requests. In the event a request is made, the item will be removed from the consent agenda and considered under Item XII.
- Approval of Minutes – For a Regular Meeting held on April 2, 2018.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve minutes as submitted.
- Consideration of Tax Releases in the Amount of $76.09
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve tax releases in the amount of $76.09.
- Consideration of a Budget Amendment / Public Works – Sanitation
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $32,320 to appropriate funds received from insurance for repairs of the Sanitation truck.
- Consideration of a Budget Amendment / Public Safety
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a budget amendment in the amount of $2,943 to appropriate funds received from insurance for repairs of the Public Safety vehicle.
- Consideration of a Capital Project Budget Ordinance / Exit 105 Connector Road Project
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a Capital Project Budget Ordinance in the amount of $1,375,000 to establish a capital project for the Exit 105 Connector Road.
- Consideration of a Capital Project Budget Ordinance / Greenway Connector Project
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve a Project Budget Ordinance in the amount of $1,668,750 to establish a capital project for the Greenway Connector project and approve a Budget Amendment which reverses the original annual budget.
- Consideration of a Capital Project Budget Ordinance / Existing Building Reuse Grants
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Approve Project Budget Ordinances to establish capital projects for the existing building reuse grants for Kellex, Continental and A Caring Alternative and approves Budget Amendments which reverse the original annual budgets.
- Items Removed from Consent Agenda
- New Business
- Public Hearings
- Public Hearing and Consideration of a Resolution to Temporarily Close an Unnamed Alley off North Green Street to Vehicular Traffic; and Consideration of Ordinances Modifying Existing Parking Zones in the Downtown Area
- Public Hearing and Consideration of the City of Morganton Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Entitlement Program Action Plan FY 2018
- Other Business
1a. Consideration to Adopt an Ordinance for the Removal of the City-Maintained Traffic Signals at the Intersections of South King Street/West Concord Street (Near the Burke County Library) and of North King Street/Queen Street (Near the Community House)
1b. Consideration to Adopt an Ordinance to Place Stop Signs at the Intersections of South King Street/West Concord Street (Near the Burke County Library) and of North King Street/Queen Street (Near the Community House.
- Consideration of a Records Management System Interlocal Agreement
- Appointments to Boards and Commissions
- Human Relations Commission
- Airport Authority
- 30-Day Notice of Vacancy on Boards and Commissions
- Board of Adjustment
- Cable Commission
- Community Appearance
- Planning & Zoning
- Recreation Advisory
- Other Items from City Manager and City Council Not on Agenda
- Closed Session - To Discuss Economic Development Projects as per General Statutes sec. 143-318.11(a)(4)
Minutes will be posted after the meeting.